Features, Advantages, and Licensing
The jSyncManager is a open source, Java implementation of a HotSync-compatible protocol stack, set of data abstraction objects, development tools, and applications allowing developers and end-users to synchronize Palm devices with any Java based system.
Advanced features of the jSyncManager over other data synchronization solutions for developers
- Provides a cross-platform basis for developing applications -- your jConduits and synchronization applications can be run on any Java-enabled platform, from PCs to servers to mainframes.
- Provides a full jConduit plug-in API, allowing you to write your application-specific synchronization logic into a single module that can be dynamically added to the jSyncManager Client and Server.
- Provides a multi-threaded Synchronization engine, so you can embed the complete jSyncManager engine (including the jConduit plug-in subsystem) into your own applications.
jSyncManager's many advantages over other PalmOS-based data synchronization solutions:
- Completely written in Java, allowing it to be run on any Java-enabled platform.
- Supports plug-in synchronization logic modules called jConduits that enable the jSyncManager to synchronize with your applications and databases.
- Supports USB, Serial, Infra Red, and Modem data synchronization.
- Robust, high speed data synchronization engine for fast data synchronization.
- Supports full backup and restore capabilities, allowing you to restore a complete image of your handheld if it loses power, or if you replace your existing handheld with a newer model.
- Supports the deletion of databases on your handheld, including those not normally readibly deletable (such as the Datebook database).
- Supports the installation of downloadable PalmOS applications and databases in PRC/PDB format.
- Supports export of the standard PalmOS databases in a variety of text interchange formats, including XML, CVS, HRT (human-readable text) and HEX (hexidecimal record dumps), with import capabilities coming soon.
- Supports date/time synchronization.
- Backup data is stored compressed to minimize storage requirements.
- Compressed Backup sets are readily converted to PRC/PDB files for interchange with other popular PalmOS-based handheld data synchronization applications.
- Run in two possible modes: "Client" mode provides an interactive GUI for managing plug-ins and running synchronization tasks for a single handheld at once, and "MultiPort Server" mode runs in the background, synchronizing potentially hundreds of handhelds simultaneously.
jSyncManager licensing is segmented into three parts.
- The first part is the jSyncManager API and the Transports that are licensed under the LGPL.
- The second part is all the other classes (in particular, the GUI, the MultiPort Server, and the core jConduits) that are all licensed under the GPL.
- The third part is all "contrib" items that are licensed separately, and can have either license (GPL or LGPL). At present, the contrib items in CVS are covered under the LGPL.
A "contrib" item is a sub-project that isn't part of the core jSyncManager API, CAS, or jConduit distributions. Currently, the "contrib" part comprises three sub-projects: the jSerial API, the CDK-J Bridge, and OS/2 USB. In the future, it could cover other sub-projects, including other transports and jConduits that are not distributed as part of the core jSyncManager.
How do I tell which license a component is covered under?
Each separate class file in the Source tree contains a header stating which license it's available under.
Why use different licensing for different parts?
Some parts are licensed under the LGPL to enable organizations to call our APIs in their own applications without having to make those applications Open Source. Some parts are licensed under the GPL so developers have to make their applications Open Source if they integrate them into their own application. This licensing scheme benefits the community.
For product and general inquiries, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For website inquiries, please e-mail us at email@example.com